In reading the Austin Statesman newspaper over the past few days and listening to my talk radio show 590am about the Ray Rice story during my drive time, I can’t help but think that there is a teaching opportunity for us all.
As leaders, a parent or a role model, whether you are a CEO, own a business, manage or lead a division, department or team or coaching your children, these 3 fundamentals will always apply.
- Set clear expectations
- Set clear consequences (rewards & penalties)
- Provide a clear path or way of measuring progress
Most of us can easily accomplish #1, it’s the 2nd and 3rd ones that after the fact was answered with excuses or it’s not my fault that causes us concern.
- Set measurable expectations; by when time sensitive goals and finish your discussion with “…can I count on you”
- Be crystal clear on the rewards and penalties. It’s the down side that always brings us grief. Was with a CEO member client this week and when asked about what were the individual compensation consequences for not meeting 2014 stated plan, he said his team was still expecting their bonuses and he was not looking forward to that conversation.
- In creating a clear path to measure progress, I am comfortable working backwards from the due date of the objective, task or project.
- Breaking down day, weeks, month, quarter or key steps is important
- What are the due diligence (right behavior), gates, triggers (must be validated to go to the next step) that need to be done along the way for meeting the stated expectations
- Check-in, status, weekly meetings – individually or the team can pitch in if any part of the process is behind or breaking down before it becomes a problem – which suggests collaborated communication if a group, team or tribe.
None of us like surprises and last minute “…I didn’t get around to it or it’s not finished” can drive me to the dark side over and over again.
So would the Ray Rice story be a story if the NFL had a clear set of guidelines, rules for this offense with the 3 leadership fundamentals in place?